Here are the thoughts of a full-time mom who likes to stay informed, continue learning and think while she's folding clothes.

I miss the frequent discussions with a diverse group of friends on books, politics, religion, better business practices or anything else, and the continual learning environment that I left when I quit a job I loved to do a job I love even more (stay home with my little boy). Thus this blog.

Update: Now I have 3 kids and am seeing how much education I can possibly hold to hopefully inspire those kiddos to become the great men and women they were destined to be. I am now using this blog mostly to participate in book discussions and study groups.
Please excuse typos and grammatical errors. Honestly it's a victory if I get anything written, let alone proof-read at this point in my life. :)


Tuesday, March 10, 2015

2 Thoughts I loved

1. High Class Drones - First I giggled, then I thought. This phrase was used when describing what we potentially create when parents seek to push our children into being mini-adults, vicariously competing against the Jones to see who can be the most busy, accomplished and mature. Over-scheduling and pushing children into many extracurriculars of parent's choosing at the neglect of seeing childhood as an experience and journey in and of itself may create high-class drones. Does childhood really need tons of artificial stimulation to achieve it's true purpose of preparing well balanced successful adults achieving their individual life purpose? Over-scheduling and placing our kids in a ton of activities that, if we are honest, are often simply to help the parent feel better about their role as parent, is abdicating the beauty of childhood and also the inner genius and individuality of each child -- Molding a society of high-class drones who have lots of credentials, but little independent thinking, connection and application ability. I thought it very fitting of the family culture prevalent.

An ideal I like is in the Bible, Luke 2:52, about Christ's childhood. 'And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.' From Jesus the Christ, Talmage: 'He (Jesus) lived the simple life, at peace with His fellows, in communion with his Father, thus increasing in favor with God and man. These years of seclusion were spent in active effort, both physical and mental. Jesus was a close observer of nature and men...all these had contributed to the wisdom in which He grew, as had also the moods of the weather, the recurrence of the seasons and all the phenomena of natural change and order.' I don't see over-zealous parents structuring every moment here, but a kid learning from and enjoying his natural surroundings and relationships organically.



2. "More has NOT changed than has changed...And of course, the telephone, fax machine, email, social media and the like all did incredible things to improve our ability to reach more people....but none of them guarantee that you'll actually reach people. None of them guarantee that you will connect with people, move them and affect them. That's done through the message and content of what you are delivering..'

Darren Hardy said this in a panel discussion about the publishing industry, but I think it is so applicable to our homes and lives. Sure lots has changed even since I was in high school (my husband and I dated in an era with no texting, what?? and seriously, wer're not that old), but 'humans haven't had a software update in 200,000 years'. Are we using the tools we have at our disposal now to really reach, connect with, move and affect those people we most care about? Or are they simply adding more distraction and distance to our lives?

And that, friends, is my musings for the last few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment